Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Do you have to take a car that is under warranty to the dealer for oil changes and other maintenance?

I have had my 2006 Hyundai Sonata for almost 2 years. It is still under warranty. I just spent $230 this weekend for a 15,000 mile checkup, new wiper blades and a new cabin filter. This is so ridiculous. If I take my car somewhere else for oil changes and the like, will that void my warranty or do I have to take it to the dealer? I'm afraid to ask the dealer because I'm not sure I would get an honest answer.Do you have to take a car that is under warranty to the dealer for oil changes and other maintenance?
I have a 2003 and the only time the dealer sees the car is for the first free oil change, warranty work, or I want something.Do you have to take a car that is under warranty to the dealer for oil changes and other maintenance?
Perhaps next time spend a few minutes checking your self on easy to see items like you said wipers you know if they need replacing, and even the filter , and buy them yourself and fit them , also it may help to stay with the dealer for the main checks in case say at 30,000 you have a major problem, with your car, you dont want to give them the excuse to say they wont cover the warrantee because something was not done properly else where.
No, you can take them to the place of your choice. You will have to pay, but you would have at the dealership too. That part is not under warranty.
I'm need to stick my head out here and go against what everyone else is saying. Some Hyundai dealerships WILL NOT honor your warranty when something covered under warranty requires repair if you did maintenance somewhere other than the dealership. I've read about this happening so many times with Hyundai owners. Let's say something engine related that's covered under the warranty fails. Some dealerships will wiggle out of warranty work by saying you voided the warranty by getting oil changes somewhere other than the dealership. The dealership garauntees its own service, but not the service of others. Be VERY careful about this. You don't want to void the warranty. It's hard to trust what they say, but you really need to ask you local Hyundai dealer about this. In fact, call more than one Hyundai dealership to ask about this just to see if you get the same answer.
Generally, any work or modifications you do to your car will not void your warranty unless it is found that said work caused a problem.
Most ';do it yourself'; maintenance will not void your warranty. Only things that drastically change your setup will void it.
i think that all the dealers does it want you to come back, and back, the make like that you are getting a deal when you are not. if you have a trust worthy mechanic, the take your care to them.
I believe it is illegal to deny a warranty due to routine work done at home or at another shop. If you get work done at a shop, you need a receipt and proof that the proper lubricants and parts were used. If you do it at home you need to have receipts and write the mileage the work was performed at. Dealers want you to maintain your vehicle at their shop, but it is illegal to mandate it. You can take it anywhere you want, that's why dealerships have a parts department that sell parts to both private buyers and mechanics. I do recommend that if you opt to go to a private garage, make sure they are reputable. At least with a dealership they will be forced to honor all warranties without any questions.





If you are poor like me, you might just opt to trust a private mechanic and save a few hundred bucks and take repairs as needed. I have yet to get my required 30/60/90,000 mile service! I figured if I get the oil changed at the proper interval and the car lasts past 100,000 miles, I have saved money! If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you just like having that warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing you ';should'; be o.k. go ahead and spend that extra money.





I have 77,700 miles and I have replaced the front brakes myself and had a garage replace all four struts last month for a little over $700. I saved $400 over the dealership! When I get the timing belt replaced I may take it to the dealership, if they are competitive in price. You have to take into consideration the warranty and the hope that the person you are entrusting your car is honest. Even with honest mechanics, parts will break and there is no guarantee that you will have a trouble-free car forever.
you dont have to tke it to the dealer but you do have to keep records of what is done,,,when and where,,,,and at what mileage.


Stay away from Jiffy Lube and the chain outfits.
Dealers have set prices for the services they offer. Just because the 30,000 mile service calls for certain things to be done, doesn't mean you have to do them. The warranty may call for an oil change and lube and tire rotation ONLY for the 30,000 mile service. The dealer can certainly recommend other things be done at that service to keep your car at it's best . However, you don't have to do them to keep the car under it's warranty.


You can have all of your oil changes done anywhere that would have the special oil filter that most of the newer Hyundais use. Just make sure you keep the receipts in case you need to show proof that the oil changes were made at the mileage intervals recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment