Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I just changed the oil in my car & decided to try the Mobil 1 full synthetic.?

My question is am I wasting money, is synthetic oil over rated? Is it worth paying twice as much as regular oil, a friend told me it will cut down on engine wear and improve gas mileage.I just changed the oil in my car %26amp; decided to try the Mobil 1 full synthetic.?
If you change your oil regularly, probably not necessary. Synthetic oil can go up to 10,000Km (don't know what that is in miles, something like 6,400miles) and doesn't experience thermal breakdown or deterioration like conventional oil BUT at a cost. I change my oil often so I can't see spending the extra dough, but if I were to park my car for a year or two, yes I would use it.I just changed the oil in my car %26amp; decided to try the Mobil 1 full synthetic.?
Synthetic is superior to conventional oil in EVERY way. They are:





(1) better lubricant


(2) resist high temp break down


(3) resist low temp freeze


(4) resist sludge formation.





But in reality most cars do not need them in regular driving habit. The real except is the high performance engines (Turbo, etc.) or certain cars (toyota, audi,etc.).





For me I rather be safe than sorry and use Synthetic on all my cars (audi and civic). If you pay extra $30 per oil change, then in 90 days (3 months), that comes out to little bit more than just 33 cents per day. Not much compared to gas prices.








Good Luck...





P.S. If you plan to just sell your car in few years, forget about it and go with conventional oil.
I run full synthetic in my mustang. I love it. It does flow better in cold weather, as I've seen this in the shop that I work in. I's heat tolerance is better. If you are going to keep the car, then yes, keep it up. However, the use of synthetic oil is best when started right away.
I think it is a waste of money if you have been using reg oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment