Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Do you have to take a car that is under warranty to the dealer for oil changes and other maintenance?

I have had my 2006 Hyundai Sonata for almost 2 years. It is still under warranty. I just spent $230 this weekend for a 15,000 mile checkup, new wiper blades and a new cabin filter. This is so ridiculous. If I take my car somewhere else for oil changes and the like, will that void my warranty or do I have to take it to the dealer? I'm afraid to ask the dealer because I'm not sure I would get an honest answer.Do you have to take a car that is under warranty to the dealer for oil changes and other maintenance?
you can get your car serviced anyplace you like, just keep all your receipts for work done and oil changes in case something goes wrong with the engine and you have to fall back on the warranty so you can prove you had the oil changed every 3,000 miles.Do you have to take a car that is under warranty to the dealer for oil changes and other maintenance?
No matter what happens to the car u have the right to change it when u have the warranty even if u made or change something u still have the warranty even if u change the oil u can still get a warranty no matter what happens to your car.





If u cant change it dew to some changes such as the oil change new tires or bunker change u have the right change it change it for warranty other wise they are scam artist.
No you don't. They want you to think that though because they want to be earning/getting your money. My mom has a 2005 Honda Odyssey and she refuses to go to the dealership for ANY minor maintenance but she still has a warranty there.
the dealer is the only place you can get the correct answer. From what I have always known you do not have to take it to a dealer for maintenance you can have your oil changed any where you want and it does not effect the warranty but ask the dealer if you are in doubt.
No, but I would recommend it. I do with my car.
Typically, you would have to go to the dealership to get oil changes to stay under warranty. To be sure, you should probably just call the dealership anonymously.





I have a 2006 Honda and I take it to both the dealership and Jiffylube (I drive a lot since I travel between cities). I just took my car to Honda to get serviced on and it was still under warranty! Dealerships really do cost a lot more... but you're probably better off getting them to service your car anyways.
Right now your doing it backwards in my opinion. You really didn't need the new wipers and cabin air filter, but you did need a quality oil change from your Hyundai dealer to protect your power train warranty. I would get future oil changes at the dealer and not get any other maintenance done at independent shops that is not listed in your Hyundai maintenance schedule.
Okay, first no you don't have to take it to the dealer. Second, $230 is not a lot for a 15,000 mile service. It is typical. Third, if you don;t take it to the dealer, you had better be sure the place you take it knows Hyundai's really well and uses Hyundai parts. Otherwise it will cost you more later. Finally, when you do go in for service tell them you want the ';factory recommended'; service -- NOT what the dealer recommends. Dealers routinely add ';extra'; services you don't need to boost the price. They all do this.
No, it doesn't have to be the dealer. You do, however, need to GET DOCUMENTATION EACH TIME you have it serviced at a more reasonable place, to document your service in case of a wartranty issue. An itemized receipt on the shop's letterhead or signed by their personnel would be a good idea.
Legally your warranty is still valid. You cannot be forced to have trivial things such as oil changes and minor maintenance done by the manufacturer. If you get non-genuine parts, your warranty may be void in certain instances.





Lots of case law on this - take your car somewhere cheaper to get these things done.
You have to keep your records and show that the car is being maintained to their specks.
You can take your car anywhere for any type of maintenance. However, it is always good to stick with one shop/mechanic as they usually keep a record of what work is being done to your vehicle. It's like sticking with one doctor (because they know you well). The one thing to remember is that most mechanics will take advantage of women and senior citizens and prey on their lack of automotive knowledge to boost service sales. I would stick with the dealer for my maintenance. After getting an oil change, as the service guy if they have a ';top off'; policy; most dealership mechanics will offer this. This means that you can return to the dealer anytime between your new AND your next listed oil change to add any oil without cost. This is a good deal as they would also check the rest of your fluid levels and tire pressure as a regular routine (or unless you ask for it..no charge).
=]

No comments:

Post a Comment