Saturday, December 26, 2009

My car was 2 quarts low in oil did i damage my engine?

okay my car is throwing water out of the engine and my father said its 2 quarts low in oil what does this mean?My car was 2 quarts low in oil did i damage my engine?
Your question is a little murky. Are you losing coolant, or do you have some literal water drooling out the tailpipe as the car warms up?





A little condensation dripping from the tailpipe isn't at all unusual. Most people don't even realize it because you don't exactly have a mirror that allows you to see the tailpipe as you're driving those first few miles.





If you're losing coolant, you have issues. If your car overheated recently, you may have a warped head or a popped head gasket (usually both). The shorter your head, the less likely this is to occur. My car is a ';straight 6';, meaning my head is 6 cylinders long. This type of head is highly subject to this type of overheating damage. Most cars today have either a 4 banger or a V6. A 4 will pop a gasket from time to time, especially if it's getting older and the head bolts weren't re-torqued as all head bolts need to be 10 or 20,000 miles after you bought it new. If you have a V6, the liklihood of a warped head causing a popped gasket is remote, but I'm sure it has happened.





As to your primary question, there's not much chance you did damage by being 2 quarts low. The wet-sump in your engine is designed so that the oil pickup bell hangs about a half inch from the bottom of the pan. That translates to about a half a quart being all that's needed for oil to flow to the oil pump.





If your car holds 5 quarts of oil, 4 and a half of those are in the sump, and a half a quart in the filter. You would have had to be 4 quarts low for damage to occur.





In my younger days I can remember checking the oil and it being so low that it didn't even show on the dipstick (With no damage occurring).





I'm a little smarter now. (thank God)





I'm confident you're ok.My car was 2 quarts low in oil did i damage my engine?
it's either leaking (check for spots on the ground where you park) or it burns it.





if the engine is not making any funny noises, there probably is no damage, yet!





i suggest keeping a few quarts in the trunk and checking it when you fill it up with gas.








leaks are GENERALLY easy to fix. if it's burning it, there are additives you can put in there to slow consumption.





hope this helps.





EDIT oh yeah, the water thing could contribute to burning. again leaks are GENERALLY easy to fix.
i think it is fine as long as there was oil in it! just check it every couple of months to make sure he stays hydrated!LOL
throwing atre out that could be head gasket or water pump or water pump gasket





if you are driving WITHOUT ANY oil you could throw a rod or a rod bearing and that will cause catostrophic engine failure
it means you could have blown a head gasket or done some internal damage to it,right now at this point id have a shop check it over real good to see if it did hurt anything on it,you wont know for sure until its been checked over real good,that's the only way to find out,i hope you didn't hurt it,next time keep a check on things,and this can be prevented,good luck.
It probably means that it is in it's last leg if it doesn't get some TLC and regular maintenance.
';...throwing water out of the engine...'; I'm not sure what you mean by this. However just because it was two quarts low doesn't mean that damaged the engine. Just make sure you check it regularrly from now on and add when a quart low.
Yes, it may be all right THIS TIME. But you seriously need to get knowledgeable about taking care of your car. Obviously, just because it runs all right now doesn't mean it will always be all right, as you have found out. Checking the oil when you get gas is all right usually, but right now you need to check it every morning or evening (let it sit for at least 5 minutes before you check it) to make sure at what rate you are losing it.


But what do you mean, it's ';throwing water out?'; Steaming and blowing water out? Just losing a little water? It may mean the difference between a damaged engine or not. You may just have a broken fan belt--aggravating but not expensive providing you don't keep driving the car. but have it fixed. If you want, add more information to your question and I will get back to it, or you may email me by clicking on my icon. I will be here and there this afternoon but will be back before this eve. Best regards, Mike
you didnt damage it just keep a check on it to see where the water and the oil is going .... just dont let it run out... i would check it out at least every other day or whenever you refuel.
if your car is trowing water is probably a broken hose or the radiator,cars are meant to burn oil specially the way you drive and how often you check the oil,that is why you have to make a oil change every 3,000 miles because oil burns fill up the 2quarts and then like in two days check the oil again to make sure there is no oil leaking.Remember when you check the oil or the water the car does not have to be with the engine running do it early in the morning before you start the car,and if you open the radiator cap when the engine is hot it will throw water cause of the pressure,you havent mess up the engine but if is a car with high miles check your oil once a week and if it needs put more right away.

2 comments:

  1. My 04 Cavalier just stopped running in the middle of driving. I know it's not the fuel pump, just had that replaced. But as it was dying the oil light came on. I am late on my oil change but usually pretty faithful. Since the oil light was on, I checked it and could not read anything on the dip stick. I added 2 quarts, 1 at a time and checked the dip stick in between. After 2 quarts I was leary to add more. I started the car and had no problems getting home. Could there be a problem with the oil filter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 04 Cavalier just stopped running in the middle of driving. I know it's not the fuel pump, just had that replaced. But as it was dying the oil light came on. I am late on my oil change but usually pretty faithful. Since the oil light was on, I checked it and could not read anything on the dip stick. I added 2 quarts, 1 at a time and checked the dip stick in between. After 2 quarts I was leary to add more. I started the car and had no problems getting home. Could there be a problem with the oil filter?

    ReplyDelete